The state of the Miegakure, Feb 2018

Hi! I forgot that I have to update this blog often enough or people will start to flood me with questions about how the development is going.

As I said before all the puzzles are done and you can play the game from start to finish and get to the ending, watch the credits, etc... I do still add a puzzle here and there sometimes, if it is really awesome.

After shipping 4D toys I went and inserted all the dialogue I had written into the game, so it feels almost done in that sense as well. The "story" of the game is very exciting to me. I would like to talk about it a lot more but not yet. I did talk about the very basics in this post.

Then these past few months I have mainly been taking the “Main Game Mechanics” and making them look finished. By Main Mechanics I mean things you interact with beyond the Basic Mechanics such as jumping, rotating your view in 4D, and pushing blocks. There are about six of these main mechanics, but it's approximate as they're sometimes more like big categories covering related concepts.

A few of these main mechanics were very simple looking, but clear enough that you could play and understand what was happening.

So I went into graphics programmer mode and made them look amazing. But also as usual with this game there were a lot of game design considerations to keep the game understandable. I am sometimes jealous of video games that have simpler gameplay that lets them build any sort of crazy-looking stuff they want, but on the other hand when a beautiful thing also has gameplay it becomes so much more awesome! It’s just much harder to make. This freaking game is hard to make but so worth it.

Anyway I am done with all of them except one, which I am working on now, and it should be done within a month or so. (Edit March 2018: Done!)

After that my programming tasks will be small things like fix collision bugs, and I will keep placing props in levels and program the occasional cool 4D thing. We still need a bunch of 3D modelling done.

For 4D Toys I added a bunch of shapes that people had suggested over time, with more stuff to come. The trailer has a almost a million views (and the channel hit 3.1 million views and 20K subscribers) and the top comment says "this is the best description of 4d I have ever come across on the Internet." So that's cool.

39 Responses to “The state of the Miegakure, Feb 2018”

1. Wok says:

I still believe!

2. Dan says:

This is great news 🙂
    Thanks for the update

3. Solensia says:

That's really great news. I can't wait to play this.

One thing with 4D Toys, though: would it be possible to add some visual effects such as shadows or depth of field? It would really help those without VR see the 3D nature of the shapes.

4. Kovkov says:

I know you had a VR prototype for Miegakure, is it still something you are considering?

I loved 4D Toys by the way!

• marc says:

It's not a lot of work so probably, but I would recommend playing the normal version first anyway.

• Kovkov says:

Thank you for your response, I'm so glad to hear that!

I'm quite curious about your advice, how playing it first in classic version would enhance the experience?

5. Meer says:

Cool! And I'm still here, waiting patiently for your promising game to be complete : ) Keep it up!

6. Alyssa says:

So excited to here it's nearly done after waiting so long! Thanks for the update. Is Linux support still going to happen, do you think?

7. I agree with the commenter you quoted, this is one of the best explanations of 4 dimensional objects that I have ever come across. I'm helping to teach a grad level class on space, time, and motion for teachers right now and I've posted a couple of your videos, and recommended my students, who are teachers in training, to play with 4D Toys. I'm very excited to see the finished game! Keep up the great work!

8. Sam says:

I love updates!

9. Mark says:

Can it be true? Has our faithfulness finally come to fruition? You'll be done in a month?

I weep with joy.

About 4DToys. Any chance you could add the ability for us to rotate the objects in 4d space as we're holding them? That's the only thing that it really needs.

10. Ryan says:

I am so excited for this game. I have been watching this game since it was announced. I love the creativity and the idea of making a 4d game. It looks awesome. I also love how open you are about the development process and also answer questions people have. Thank you for all you guys do!

11. Aiden says:

It's a little bit surreal to see a project I've watched for nearly a decade now approach this closely to the release date. All the best for the last stretch of the development cycle, hopefully the project is well received and the release goes smoothly 🙂

12. Chris says:

How exciting! I feel like I've been waiting for this game for such a long time now, it's so nice to see it getting closer and closer to release. Really looking forward to playing it, I hope it all goes well!

13. Paul-Simon says:

Been following your devblog for a few years. Always been super interested in your take on a 4D game.
    Take your time and make it perfect 🙂

14. Jonathan says:

Can I ask you something more personal?

How do you afford to be developing the same game for 8 years+?
    Do you have a full-time job in addition to this?
    Or simply large savings or some other means to keep your needs taken care of?
    As a hobbyist game-maker I'm curious.

Thanks, Jonathan.

15. Javier Matusevich says:

This is an emotive moment for me, I remember getting interested in this game in high school, flash forward way too many years after, and I’m here, working as an independent developer, and your game’s progress feels like a landmark to track the changes in my life. Keep up the good work.

16. Marcos says:

Great!

Will your 4D engine be useful to make other puzzle games, or is it too ingrained into Miegakure?

17. Octathorne says:

Congrats !
    You enjoying the development is one of the most important parts to making the final product feel and seep fun too.
    Speaking of which, isn't there anyone you'd entrust a PSVR port of 4D Toys to ? Or take a break with it yourself or borrow/sit with someone's devkit for testing.
    At a 2Million+ install base it seems a viable enough market and would also provide a most accessible path (in terms of hardware cost, think teachers lugging it into class, or conspiring with their students if they bring their own ps4. [and media molecule's dreams])

Giddy 😀

p.s.: also, in the future, ..could You and 3Blue1Brown maybe have a baby ? As in a project together ..

18. Fleechin489357 says:

Really glad to see this is still going on, I believe in you!

I'm also curious as to whether there's any possibility of Klein bottle-like structures in either one of these games of yours

• marc says:

There is a Klein bottle in Miegakure, and I will add one in 4D Toys, U just need to add something else first.

19. Mike says:

Hi =) just another faceless web denizen, checking back with your website every few months over the years. Soooo excited, still.
    This ranks up there with the Aurora Iwinks, the lucid dream induction device, which I am also still waiting for.
    Gooooood luck! Gooooood fortune! Godspeed!!!

20. Caz says:

Looking forward to playing this. I've been into 4D since 6th form college, when I read Flatland and the Planisphere novel. My visualisation method is to imagine the 4D shape unfolded in a 3D net, then try and fold it up in my mind. Also rotating the shape in and out of 3D along a plane. I found your visualisation method extremely fascinating and can't wait for the game!

21. Jon says:

Is there any Linux or Android version of '4D Toys'? Will Miegakure be available on these platforms?

22. Sam says:

So, since you didn't include any new pictures can we start flooding you with requests to see new pictures now? 😉

23. Grant Gryczan says:

You still need to publish an Android app for 4D Toys though. 😢

24. Thank you for all the effort in making this amazing game! Do you have any plans on allowing early access for streamers to get the game a lot of exposure? I love streaming and would love to help in any way I can!

25. Callum says:

Hey Marc, thanks for the update!

I know you've been asked this before, but I couldn't find whether you commented on it further, so I'll just ask myself: do you have any plans to include the Nintendo Switch in your platforms? I will buy this when it comes out on computer, but I'd happily rebuy it if I could play it on the go (and it seems like the perfect kind of game for that, too).

26. Jordan says:

It sounds so close!

I've been waiting for this game for SO LONG. Seriously, I swear I've been following this since at least as far back as 9 years now. I can't wait to play.

27. Djeis says:

This is awesome news, glad to hear about the progress!