The state of the Miegakure, Feb 2018

Hi! I forgot that I have to update this blog often enough or people will start to flood me with questions about how the development is going.

As I said before all the puzzles are done and you can play the game from start to finish and get to the ending, watch the credits, etc... I do still add a puzzle here and there sometimes, if it is really awesome.

After shipping 4D toys I went and inserted all the dialogue I had written into the game, so it feels almost done in that sense as well. The "story" of the game is very exciting to me. I would like to talk about it a lot more but not yet. I did talk about the very basics in this post.

Then these past few months I have mainly been taking the “Main Game Mechanics” and making them look finished. By Main Mechanics I mean things you interact with beyond the Basic Mechanics such as jumping, rotating your view in 4D, and pushing blocks. There are about six of these main mechanics, but it's approximate as they're sometimes more like big categories covering related concepts.

A few of these main mechanics were very simple looking, but clear enough that you could play and understand what was happening.

So I went into graphics programmer mode and made them look amazing. But also as usual with this game there were a lot of game design considerations to keep the game understandable. I am sometimes jealous of video games that have simpler gameplay that lets them build any sort of crazy-looking stuff they want, but on the other hand when a beautiful thing also has gameplay it becomes so much more awesome! It’s just much harder to make. This freaking game is hard to make but so worth it.

Anyway I am done with all of them except one, which I am working on now, and it should be done within a month or so.

After that my programming tasks will be small things like fix collision bugs, and I will keep placing props in levels and program the occasional cool 4D thing. We still need a bunch of 3D modelling done.

For 4D Toys I added a bunch of shapes that people had suggested over time, with more stuff to come. The trailer has a almost a million views (and the channel hit 3.1 million views and 20K subscribers) and the top comment says "this is the best description of 4d I have ever come across on the Internet." So that's cool.

18 Responses to “The state of the Miegakure, Feb 2018”

1. Wok says:

I still believe!

2. Dan says:

This is great news 🙂
    Thanks for the update

3. Solensia says:

That's really great news. I can't wait to play this.

One thing with 4D Toys, though: would it be possible to add some visual effects such as shadows or depth of field? It would really help those without VR see the 3D nature of the shapes.

4. Kovkov says:

I know you had a VR prototype for Miegakure, is it still something you are considering?

I loved 4D Toys by the way!

• marc says:

It's not a lot of work so probably, but I would recommend playing the normal version first anyway.

• Kovkov says:

Thank you for your response, I'm so glad to hear that!

I'm quite curious about your advice, how playing it first in classic version would enhance the experience?

5. Meer says:

Cool! And I'm still here, waiting patiently for your promising game to be complete : ) Keep it up!

6. Alyssa says:

So excited to here it's nearly done after waiting so long! Thanks for the update. Is Linux support still going to happen, do you think?

7. I agree with the commenter you quoted, this is one of the best explanations of 4 dimensional objects that I have ever come across. I'm helping to teach a grad level class on space, time, and motion for teachers right now and I've posted a couple of your videos, and recommended my students, who are teachers in training, to play with 4D Toys. I'm very excited to see the finished game! Keep up the great work!

8. Sam says:

I love updates!

9. Mark says:

Can it be true? Has our faithfulness finally come to fruition? You'll be done in a month?

I weep with joy.

About 4DToys. Any chance you could add the ability for us to rotate the objects in 4d space as we're holding them? That's the only thing that it really needs.

10. Ryan says:

I am so excited for this game. I have been watching this game since it was announced. I love the creativity and the idea of making a 4d game. It looks awesome. I also love how open you are about the development process and also answer questions people have. Thank you for all you guys do!

11. Aiden says:

It's a little bit surreal to see a project I've watched for nearly a decade now approach this closely to the release date. All the best for the last stretch of the development cycle, hopefully the project is well received and the release goes smoothly 🙂

12. Chris says:

How exciting! I feel like I've been waiting for this game for such a long time now, it's so nice to see it getting closer and closer to release. Really looking forward to playing it, I hope it all goes well!